Information Evening for Parents of Graduating Students
Thursday, November 1st
Student Services is pleased to host the popular annual event. This evening is designed to help parents negotiate the sometimes confusing process of post-secondary planning and application. A sample of topics for the evening includes:
- Research tools for life after high school
- on-line applications to colleges and universities
- funding post-secondary education
We’re hoping to be as practical as possible at this event; we’ll get some hands-on experience with applications and we’ll talk a bit about next steps. This event is primarily designed for parents of this year’s graduates; we’ll be inviting grade 11 parents to a broader, “big-sky” planning conversation in the spring. Parents of grade 12s – Please check your inboxes in the coming weeks for a special email invitation!
Take A Kid to Work Day
Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2018
Grade nine students are encouraged to spend the day “shadowing” their parents (or relatives or family friends) at their places of employment. This has been an amazing day for our grade nine students in past years, helping them to go “deeper in and further out.”
Grade nine classes will be cancelled for that day so that students can make the most of this opportunity.
Next Friday, your son or daughter will bring home a consent form for participation in the day; please fill out the consent form (also available as a link on the EDSBY Student Services group) and return it to the main office.
If you would like more information, please check out the Learning Partnership website.
Christian University and College Tour
Tuesday, October 9
HDCH will once again be hosting. Past participants have included: Redeemer University College (Hamilton, ON), Crandall University (Moncton, NB), Booth University College (Winnipeg, MN), Providence University College (Winnipeg, MN), Canadian Mennonite University (Winnipeg, MN), The King’s University College (Edmonton, AB), Trinity Western University (Langley, BC), Tyndale University College and Seminary (Toronto), Calvin College (Grand Rapids, MI), Dordt College (Sioux Center, IA), Geneva College (Geneva, NY).
On Friday, Oct 5, during homeroom, we will be asking senior students to fill in a sign-up sheet for the Tour. Students will be asked to indicate their preferences and can sign up for one to three sessions. This is not a mandatory event. Students who do not indicate a preference, or who indicate that they will not participate, will be expected in class on the 9th. Classes will operate as usual.
Schedule for the afternoon:
- 1:30 pm Opening and Introduction (Includes Chr. Higher Ed. Overview)
- 1:50 pm Session #1– Session with institution of choice
- 2:10 pm Session #2– Session with institution of choice
- 2:30 pm Walk-About Fair/Final Questions to reps
Fall is research time for students considering post-secondary programs! Graduating students should be busy considering post-secondary options.
In October and November, we’ll begin application workshops in the computer labs at lunch. In the meantime, here are some pre-applications steps:
- Make a list of what you are looking for… program, school size, location, faith life, campus facilities, reputation… etc
- Use e-info or ontariocolleges.ca or canlearn.ca to research programs and pre-requisites.
- Connect with schools by attending liaison visit sessions (a full schedule is available on the student services group on EDSBY), by visiting campuses, and by checking out program websites. Create a list of important considerations and write down the pros and cons of various schools. Narrow down your search and begin to rank choices.
Looking for a little support with your homework? Drop by the Grove after school Mondays through Thursdays until 4.