Fall is research time for students considering post-secondary programs. Graduating students should be busy considering post-secondary options.
In October and November, we’ll begin application workshops in the computer labs at lunch. In the meantime, here are some pre-applications steps:
- Make a list of what you are looking for… program, school size, location, faith life, campus facilities, reputation, etc
- Use electronicinfo.ca or ontariocolleges.ca or canlearn.ca to research programs and pre-requisites
- Connect with schools by attending liaison visit sessions (a full schedule is also available on the student services group on EDSBY), by visiting campuses, and by checking out program websites. Create a list of important considerations and write down the pros and cons of various schools. Narrow down your search and begin to rank choices.
Save the Date:
Information Evening for Parents of Graduating Students
Thursday, November 1st
Student Services is pleased to host the popular annual Information Evening for Parents of Graduating Students.
This evening event is designed to help parents negotiate the sometimes confusing process of post-secondary planning and application. A sample of topics for the evening includes:
- research tools for life after high school
- on-line applications to colleges and universities
- funding post-secondary education
We’ll be as practical as possible at this event; we’ll get some hands-on experience with applications and we’ll talk about next steps.
This event is primarily designed for parents of this year’s graduates; we’ll be inviting grade 11 parents to a broader, “big-sky” planning conversation in the spring. Parents of grade 12s – Please check your inboxes in the coming weeks for a special email invitation!